These patties are very versatile. They can be served hot or cold. With salad. With vegetables. On a sandwich. In a wrap. Bite size for fingerfood. With a herb mayonnaise dipping sauce. Use your imagination!
This recipe makes 15 large patties or 30 small patties.
- 600g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 420g can of red salmon, skin and boned removed and flaked
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons spice mix (I use Zest Exotic dry spice mix which has a Moroccan flavour to it)
- Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup sourdough bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash and then put aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place salmon, onion, parsley, lemon rind, spice mix and egg in a large bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Mix potato into salmon mixture until well combined. Place in the fridge to cool for 30 mins.
- Use three shallow flat bowls and place the flour in the first one, whisk the milk and remaining egg together in the second one and the breadcrumbs in the third one.
- Shape the salmon mixture into patties (either 15 large or 30 small). Coat each pattie in flour, then milk/egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the patties for 3 minutes or until golden on each side.