150g butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup rapadura sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 cup spelt flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 pinches salt
1 cup milk
3 teaspoons pure vanilla essence
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons rapadura sugar, extra
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius and grease and line a round cake tin.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture lightens.
- Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flours, baking powder, salt and milk and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add diced apple, vanilla essence and mixed spice and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top until it is even.
- Arrange sliced apple in a spiral pattern on top of the cake mixture and push down just slightly.
- Sprinkle extra sugar and cinnamon over the apple.
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes then remove from tin and place on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or cold.