Feel like a dessert packed with chocolate flavour but not too sweet? I think raspberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven! This slice can be made up to 2 days before and stored in the fridge. Just pull it out about 30 minutes before you are serving it to warm slightly.
Ingredients for slice
75g dark chocolate (I use Green and Black’s dark cooking chocolate which has a high cocoa content)
150g fresh or frozen raspberries
4 eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
50g roasted cocoa powder
100g spelt flour
Icing sugar to dust before serving (optional)
Ingredients for raspberry sauce
300g fresh or frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line the base and sides of a round cake tin (either one large or two small) with baking paper
- Put the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan and melt over a very low heat until melted and combined stirring frequently. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy, then mix in the flour, cocoa and chocolate mixture. Press the raspberries through a sieve (to remove the seeds) into the bowl and mix all additions well to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold one large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen the mix and then fold in the remainder of the egg whites.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin/s and cook for 25 minutes or until slice has risen and is firm to the touch. Cool in tin and then carefully remove and cut into serving portions.
- While slice is cooking, place all ingredients for the raspberry sauce into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar has dissolved and raspberries have turned into liquid.
- Cook until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and place through a sieve to remove any seeds. Collect the liquid and refrigerate to thicken.
- Serve the slice with homemade icecream and the raspberry sauce. Get creative with your presentation. The sauce can be drizzled around the slice on a plate, poured over the slice or over icecream. Use your imagination.