Makes 12 medium or 24 small patties
This vegetarian dish is packed with flavour. Serve them with a salad or vegetables. Beans are always a nutritious option. You don’t even really need to aioli with these delicious patties. Make them smaller and bite sized for a healthy meal for the kids.
Ingredients for patties
2 400g cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 garlic cloves, crushed
6 spring onions, roughly chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (always use fresh!)
2 tablespoons of fresh herbs of your choice (I used parsley, but you could also use coriander, basil or thyme)
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/2 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons wholemeal spelt flour
1 cup sourdough bread crumbs (additional for crumbing)
Ghee to fry
Ingredients for aioli
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons celtic sea salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
225mls sunflower oil
- First, make the aioli. So follow the ingredients listing for the aioli.
- Place garlic, egg yolks, salt and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and slowly process until combined.
- With the motor still running at a low/medium speed, slowly add the sunflower oil, drop by drop at first, building up to a steady stream.
- Taste the aioli and balance the flavours out, adjusting if need be. Season with black cracked pepper and place in fridge. Please note that any leftover aioli can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 4 days.
- Now to make the patties, so switching back to the list of ingredients for them.
- Place the beans, garlice, onions, parmesan, herbs, lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika in the bowl of the food processor (No need to wash it out after you make the aioli). Process until smooth and creamy. Add in first lot of breadcrumbs and process until mixture thickens.
- Remove mixture from the food processor and mould into 12 medium or 24 small patties. Place them on a plate in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm.
- Place the egg and milk together in a shallow bowl and whisk until combined. Place the flour and breadcrumbs in two more seperate bowls. Set the bowls up in a row in the following order; flour, egg mixture and then breadcrumbs.
- Roll patties first in flour, then in egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Heat the ghee in a frypan to a medium heat and once hot, place the patties into the pan. Cook until browned all over, turning for even cooking.
- Serve hot or cold with the aioli.