Just like mum or grandma used to make! This yummy lemon cordial is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy! It will keep in the fridge for months….if it lasts that long! To use, simply make up roughly 1 part cordial to two parts water (depending on taste) or for a twist, use mineral water instead! You will never buy cordial again.
2.75 litres of cordial
4 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (It took about 20 lemons to give me this much juice)
4 1/2 cups water
4 1/2 cups sugar
6 teaspoons citric acid (This is optional. It will make it last longer, but if you wish to leave it out, it will still last for 3-4 weeks in the fridge)
- Place water, sugar and citric acid in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat. Keep stirring until the sugar is totally dissolved and the mixture starts to simmer.
- Turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes to cool.
- Stir in lemon juice and then leave to cool for another 20 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised and airtight bottles and store in the fridge.
- Yes, it really is that simple.
Note: You may wish to pour into bottles suitable for use in a Fowler’s Vacola unit and use the water bath method to process them. This will make the cordial last even longer.